Commando is looking for an agile team player to join our busy Product Development team as a technical designer. Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, works well with deadlines, and has strong pattern making skills. As the Technical Designer, you will create and revise patterns, grading, and conduct fittings to ensure garment drawing concepts translate to
final garments according to the designer’s vision.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Draft first patterns from drawings and/or altering existing patterns directly in CAD system
- Grade patterns by using current or revised grade rules
- Evaluate, create and implement standard grading rules to ensure consistency in fit.
- Pattern files upkeep and organization
- Perform sample inspection for measurement, construction, and compliance
- Communicate assembly details of new products to sample making room personnel
- Provide production team with approved and production-ready patterns and files. This includes CAD files, file conversions, and oaktag patterns
- Understand and consider relationships between pattern/material usage/yields during pattern creation as it relates to margins
- Assess fit models’ sizes, schedule and conduct fittings, and implement pattern revisions accordingly
- Contribute to finding new solutions to improve the construction of products for ease of production and to improve product margin
- Contribute to tech pack formation by providing garment measurements for each size
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor's or associate degree in a related field
- Minimum of 3 years related pattern making experience in the garment industry: Activewear, intimates, swim markets (tech knit fabrics) a plus
- Solid knowledge of pattern making, grading, and fittings. Marker making a plus.
- CAD/CAM software experience a must. Optitex a plus
- Experience using MS Office programs, including Excel and Word
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look
forward to hearing from you!